GNSO representation & WHOIS

William Drake william.drake at GRADUATEINSTITUTE.CH
Sun Nov 23 15:39:49 CET 2008

Hello,

A priori one would think that besides offering our own perspectives,
one of the functions of the three GNSO reps ought to be to solicit
views from NCUC members and convey the sense of the group within
relevant GNSO discussions. I don't know what the practice and
understanding was here previously, and would be interested to hear
from people as to what model to follow.

Since Mary and I were added during Cairo, there's been a rather
dauntingly high volume of traffic on the GNSO council list, a good
deal of which pertains to possible decisions on immediate action
items (see for example http://gnso.icann.org/meetings/pending-action-
list.pdf).  One issue of presumably strong local interest concerns
WHOIS and the recommendations advanced by the registries
constituency, see below.  Would people have some thoughts on this
that Mary, Carlos and I should be conveying?

Should we as a matter of course pass along all similar requests for
constituency views and such?

Thanks,

Bill

> From: Glen de Saint Géry <Glen at icann.org>
> Date: November 23, 2008 2:36:57 PM GMT+01:00
> To: "ntfy-gnso-council at icann.org" <ntfy-gnso-council at icann.org>
> Subject: Reminder:WHOIS discussion/next steps
>

> Dear Councillors,
>
> Reminder, please respond if you have not already done so.
>

> The Council agreed on Thursday 20 to schedule a WHOIS meeting.
> Constituencies are requested to work on prioritization and view
> points on the proposed working model:
>  http://gnso.icann.org/drafts/gnso-whois-study-recommendations-
> ryc-29oct08.pdf
> in preparation for the meeting.