Cairo minutes responses and discussion points

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Thu Nov 6 16:11:42 CET 2008

Cheryl
It's hard to reply to your message because it's embedded in a Word doc.
Please put them in a regular email in the future. This is an email list
that is archived.

Here are my responses.

Mary Wong:
>NCUC would prefer that for continuity reasons, seated Councilors should
>retain their positions. It may be that, as new Council seats open up,
NCUC >will fill them either according to the order of the recent
election >results, or some other way.

Cheryl Oreston
>The "NCUC" has not formed an intent or a preference.  There was not
>consensus at the meeting, and there was not a quorum.  This should be
>discussed.  I propose that, once the new structure is in place and the
new >constituencies are included, the new (and now non-existent)
Non-Commercial >Stakeholder Group (NCSG) convene (online) and hold
elections for all six >GNSO councilor seats.

There was consensus among everyone but you, as usual.

There is little room for debate here. NCUC now exists, NCSG doesn't,
until we (NCUC) create it. Under the NCUC charter we are required to
elect GNSO Councilors for 2 year terms every year. That election has
been held, and the Councilors will serve their 2-yr terms. End of story.

New members will get to elect the next three Councilors as early as June
2009 (possibly), and they will, starting in October 2010 or June 2010
elect all 6 Councilors. There is absolutely no reason for us to waste
time inserting another election in there.

It is not persuasive to say that the 6-12 month gap between new, full
NCSG elections in October 2009 and the ones Cheryl wants us to have in
May 2009 constitutes some kind of a big deal. We have a lot of better
things to do than disrupt continuity, punish people who volunteered to
stand this time (GNSO Council is a hell of a lot of work) and spend time
on bureaucracy.

--MM