A few points on ICANN's new gTLD policy implementation plans

Konstantinos Komaitis k.komaitis at STRATH.AC.UK
Mon Nov 3 15:50:24 CET 2008

Milton
You are 100% correct in your understanding on 'incitement' - the mere registration of a domain name will not constitute incitement for the purposes of criminal activity. From a legal point of view the definitional scope of 'incitement' means to "instigate, persuade, or move another to commit a crime" - so there need to be discussions taking place between two or more individuals to commit a certain crime. I cannot think of any TLD string that would be able to do that; however, if discussions that lead to a criminal action do take place through discussions on the website then this constitutes 'incitement'. So, I totally agree with you that what the policy is trying to do is to control content of  websites, which can potentially 'incite' and this of course opens a new can of warms really.

Konstantinos

Dr. Konstantinos Komaitis

Lecturer in IT&T Law, Panellist,
Chair Membership Committee,
Global Internet Governance Academic Network,
University of Strathclyde,
The Law School,
141 St James Road,
Glasgow G4 0LT.

tel:+44 (0)141 548 4306
fax:+44 (0)141 548 3639
email: k.komaitis at strath.ac.uk
http://www.law.strath.ac.uk/staff/bio_sharepoint.aspx?id=75

From: Non-Commercial User Constituency [mailto:NCUC-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Milton L Mueller
Sent: 03 November 2008 06:49
To: NCUC-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: A few points on ICANN's new gTLD policy implementation plans

Robin
Thanks so much for this summary. On the incitement issue, I understand and agree with your statement that it is not illegal under U.S. law; indeed I think your statement may be a little weak. My understanding of incitement tells me that it is literally impossible for a TLD string to "incite." Perhaps if there is a legal expert here they can tell me how ANY top level domain strong of 2 - 8 letters can be categorized as inciting immediate violence in a specific place at a specific time. Even ".killnow" would not necessarily incite - it might be a joke site for all we know. This is important because incitement is so specific that it shows that what the policy is really targeting is the CONTENT of web sites, not the names.
--MM