NCUC at Paris ICANN meeting

Robert Guerra lists at PRIVATERRA.INFO
Thu May 15 01:20:20 CEST 2008

A short note to let you all know that i'll be at the upcoming Paris
ICANN meeting. I will be with the ALAC contingent, but would like to
coordinate my time so that I can spend more time with NCUC then I have
in the past. I arrive Paris on the 21st, and will only there until the
25th . I have to depart early, as I will also be attending the Global
Voices Bloggers conference in Budapest.

In terms of issues - let me share an emerging issue .. the so called
"son of site finder" issue that has been reported this week by
researchers in the US.   It's a rather serious issue - one that
basically allows ISPs and registrars that host DNS for registrants to
inject their own ads under other people's domain names. Likely one of
the few issues where NCUC, ALAC and the IP lobby all agree that what's
being done is frankly wrong..

Below is a reference - a feature article from Wired Magazine..

ISPs' Error Page Ads Let Hackers Hijack Entire Web, Researcher Discloses
(NXDOMAIN remapping and wildcard injection by third-parties in a DNS
query)
http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/04/isps-error-page.html

regards

Robert