NCUC at Paris ICANN meeting

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Wed May 14 22:58:49 CEST 2008

Hello, all
The Paris ICANN meeting is only about a month a way. I'd like to
initiate some planning now.

First, I believe (not fully confirmed yet, but likely) that the Internet
Governance Project and Cotelco will be making a special effort to
facilitate remote participation in the NCUC constituency meeting Tuesday
June 24. We'll be doing this through Dr. Cogburn's E-lluminate platform,
which still seems to be the easiest alternative. So if you can't come
but want to stay active in the constituency, please mark your calendars
for June and see if it is possible to sit at your computer during part
of the f2f meeting.

Second, we need to set an agenda.
A big part of the agenda will be the GNSO reform process. We will need
to discuss it among ourselves, invite in some outside speakers, and will
also be having a special meeting with ALAC about that at 5:00 pm. Some
of this work will require some advance preparation, such as coming up
with a draft charter for a new stakeholder group.
We also need to consider the usual business issues: membership, the next
elections, funds, etc
Other items I can suggest are:
The Whois "studies" process
JPA issues
IANA is offering to meet to discuss some DNSSEC-related change
I think .org will want to meet with us again

Please use this list to add any other agenda items you are concerned
about!

Third, we need to make decisions about financial support for travel. I
am going to ask NCUC for US$750 towards hotel. I can get there on my own
nickel but hotels there are expensive. Others on the Council will
probably need more support, and we may want to consider other requests.

Milton Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology