Motions re Domain Tasting

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Mon Mar 3 03:51:57 CET 2008

The GNSO will move toward significantly curtailing domain name
tasting (see email below).

There will be a 21-day public comment period now, so please post any
thoughts on the below motion.

We should probably update our constituency statement in light of the
new motion also.

Robin

Begin forwarded message:

> [...]
> for 21
> days and set a timeline for final vote in our April 17 Council
> meeting.
>
> Whereas, the GNSO Council has discussed the Issues Report on Domain
> Tasting
> and the Final Outcomes Report of the ad hoc group on Domain Tasting;
>
> Whereas, the GNSO Council resolved on 31 October 2007 to launch a
> PDP on
> Domain Tasting and to request Constituency Impact Statements with
> respect to
> issues set forth in the Issues Report and in the Final Outcomes
> Report;
>
> Whereas, the GNSO Council authorized on 17 January 2008 the
> formation of a
> small design team to develop a plan for the deliberations on the
> Domain
> Tasting PDP (the "Design Team"), the principal volunteers to which
> had been
> members of the Ad Hoc Group on Domain Tasting and were well-
> informed of both
> the Final Outcomes Report of the Ad Hoc Group on Domain Tasting and
> the GNSO
> Initial Report on Domain Tasting (collectively with the Issues
> Report, the
> "Reports on Domain Tasting");
>
> Whereas, the Design Team has met and agreed on a Draft Motion
> [attached] to
> be set out for public comment and for Constituency Impact review;
>
> The GNSO Council RESOLVES:
>
> 1.    The Draft Motion shall be posted for 21-day public comment on
> March 7,
> 2008.  Each Constituency shall have 21 days from March 7, 2008 to
> update its
> Constituency Impact Statement with respect to this motion, if it so
> chooses.
> The deadline for amended Statements shall be March 28, 2008.
>
> 2.    ICANN Staff please shall provide a summary of any public
> comments
> and/or amended Constituency Impact Statements to the Council, via
> submission
> of a Final Report with respect to this PDP, by April 4, 2008.
>
> 3.    The Design Team shall then meet and confer with respect to
> the Final
> Report, in order to consider any public comments and/or amended
> Constituency
> Impact Statements and to consider any suggested amendments to the
> Draft
> Motion, and shall recommend a Final Motion to be considered by
> Council for
> vote in its scheduled meeting April 17, 2008.
>
> 4.    It is the intention of the GNSO for the Staff to produce a Board
> Report on this PDP for consideration by the ICANN Board, in the
> hope that
> the Board may vote on any recommendations of the GNSO with respect
> to this
> PDP, at the scheduled ICANN meeting in Paris in June, 2008

  --------------------------------------
Domain Tasting Design Team Motion

Revised - 26 February 2008

Whereas, the GNSO Council has discussed the Issues Report on Domain
Tasting and the Final Outcomes Report of the ad hoc group on Domain
Tasting;

Whereas, the GNSO Council resolved on 31 October 2007 to launch a PDP
on Domain Tasting;

Whereas, the GNSO Council authorized on 17 January 2008 the formation
of a small design team to develop a plan for the deliberations on the
Domain Tasting PDP (the “Design Team”), the principal volunteers to
which had been members of the Ad Hoc Group on Domain Tasting and were
well-informed of both the Final Outcomes Report of the Ad Hoc Group
on Domain Tasting and the GNSO Initial Report on Domain Tasting
(collectively with the Issues Report, the “Reports on Domain Tasting”);

Whereas, the GNSO Council has received the Draft Final Report on
Domain Tasting;

Whereas, PIR, the .org registry operator, has amended its Registry
Agreement to charge an Excess Deletion Fee; and both NeuStar,
the .biz registry operator, and Afilias, the .info registry operator,
are seeking amendments to their respective Registry Agreements to
modify the existing AGP;

The GNSO Council recommends to the ICANN Board of Directors that:

1.     The applicability of the Add Grace Period shall be restricted
for any gTLD which has implemented an AGP (“Applicable gTLD
Operator”). Specifically, for each Applicable gTLD Operator:

a.     During any given month, an Applicable gTLD Operator may not
offer any refund for any domain names deleted during the AGP that
exceed (i) 10% of its net new registrations in that month (defined as
total new registrations less domains deleted during AGP), or (ii)
fifty (50) domain names, whichever is greater.

b.     A Registrar may seek an exemption from the application of such
restriction in a specific month, upon the documented showing of
extraordinary circumstances.  For any Registrar requesting such an
exemption, the Registrar must confirm in writing to the Registry
Operator how, at the time the names were deleted, these extraordinary
circumstances were not known, reasonably could not have been known,
and were outside of the Registrar’s control.  Acceptance of any
exemption will be at the sole reasonable discretion of the Registry
Operator, however "extraordinary circumstances" which reoccur
regularly will not be deemed extraordinary.

c.     In addition to all other reporting requirements to ICANN, each
Applicable gTLD Operator shall identify each Registrar that has
sought an exemption, along with a brief descriptive identification of
the type of extraordinary circumstance and the action (if any) that
was taken by the Applicable gTLD Operator.

2.     The above restriction on use of the Add Grace Period shall be
considered an “ICANN adopted specification or polic[y] prohibiting or
restricting warehousing of or speculation in domain names by
registrars” in accordance with Section 3.7.9 of the Registrar
Accreditation Agreement.  As such, a Registrar that engages in domain
tasting, defined as using the AGP to register domain names in order
to test their profitability, shall be deemed in material breach of
the Registrar Accreditation Agreement.

3.     Implementation and execution of these recommendations shall be
monitored by the GNSO.  Specifically;

a.     ICANN Staff shall analyze and report to the GNSO at six month
intervals for two years after implementation, until such time as the
GNSO resolves otherwise, with the goal of determining;

i.               How effectively and to what extent the policies have
been implemented and followed by Registries and Registrars, and

ii.              Whether or not modifications to these policies
should be considered by the GNSO as a result of the experiences
gained during the implementation and monitoring stages,

b.      The purpose of these monitoring and reporting requirements
are to allow the GNSO to determine when, if ever, these
recommendations and any ensuing policy require additional
clarification or attention based on the results of the reports
prepared by ICANN Staff.

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org