Individual representation in NCUC

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Tue Jun 24 22:20:29 CEST 2008

Thanks, Kathy!   I also strongly agree with the proposal to include
individuals in NCUC as outlined below.  This is a very exciting time
for NCUC and terrific opportunity to significantly grow our
constituency.

Best,
Robin

On Jun 24, 2008, at 12:29 PM, KathrynKL at AOL.COM wrote:

> To Milton, Robin, and all in Paris,
> Thank you for making today's meeting so easy to participate it.
> Milton did a terrific job of leading the discussion today with
> people in the conference room, and others (like me) coming in
> online. The hour and a half I was on the call was a good and
> substantive discussion.  In the end, I wound up supporting the
> proposition below.
>
> I hope the rest of the meeting went as well, and I look forward to
> reading the notes.  All the best in the Names Council meeting and
> other meetings coming up.
>
> Kathy
>

> <dear all: A proposition to be discussed at our meeting today.>
>

> In preparation for the GNSO reforms, which we anticipate will open
> up both the commercial and noncommercial stakeholder groups to
> individuals, NCUC wishes to extend an invitation to interested
> individual registrants to formally register with and participate in
> NCUC on a provisional basis.
>

> In line with our previously stated position on GNSO reform, we
> believe that individuals who register domain names and take an
> interest in domains for personal use, and/or are mostly concerned
> with the public interest aspects of domain name policy, should be
> admitted into the Noncommercial Users stakeholder group. Examples
> of such individual users would be a person with a personal domain
> for an email account, a domain name holder with a family web site
> or blog, or individual academics or members of noncommercial
> organizations who find it too difficult or lack the standing to get
> their organization to formally join on an organizational basis
>

> (Individuals who register domain names for business purposes –
> e.g., investors in the domain name market, small businesses, and
> consultants – and are mainly concerned with the way domain name
> policy affects their business activity should be represented
> through the Commercial Users stakeholder group.)
>

> Until the GNSO reforms are completed, we propose to add
> noncommercial individuals as provisional, nonvoting members. This
> period can also serve as an experiment to see how the
> representation of individuals can best be formally structured.
>

> We anticipate asking interested individuals to sign a commitment that:
>
> They are not currently members of any other GNSO constituency
> Their interest in domain name policy relates to their individual
> use and public interest aspects
>

> We will be announcing a signup process soon.
>

> Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for fuel-efficient
> used cars.

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org