Individual representation in NCUC

KathrynKL at AOL.COM KathrynKL at AOL.COM
Tue Jun 24 21:29:58 CEST 2008

To Milton, Robin, and all  in Paris,
Thank  you for making today's meeting so easy to participate it.  Milton did
a  terrific job of leading the discussion today with people in the conference
room, and others (like me) coming in online. The hour and a half I was on the
 call was a good and substantive discussion.  In the end, I wound up
supporting the proposition below.

I hope  the rest of the meeting went as well, and I look forward to reading
the  notes.  All the best in the Names Council meeting and other meetings
coming  up.

Kathy

<dear all: A proposition to be discussed at our  meeting today.>

In preparation for the GNSO reforms, which we  anticipate will open up both
the commercial and noncommercial stakeholder  groups to individuals, NCUC
wishes to extend an invitation to interested  individual registrants to formally
register with and participate in NCUC on a  provisional basis.
In line with our previously stated position on GNSO  reform, we believe that
individuals who register domain names and take an  interest in domains for
personal use, and/or are mostly concerned with the  public interest aspects of
domain name policy, should be admitted into the  Noncommercial Users stakeholder
group. Examples of such individual users would  be a person with a personal
domain for an email account, a domain name holder  with a family web site or
blog, or individual academics or members of  noncommercial organizations who
find it too difficult or lack the standing to  get their organization to formally
join on an organizational  basis
(Individuals who register domain names for business  purposes – e.g.,
investors in the domain name market, small businesses, and  consultants – and are
mainly concerned with the way domain name policy affects  their business activity
should be represented through the Commercial Users  stakeholder group.)
Until the GNSO reforms are completed, we propose to  add noncommercial
individuals as provisional, nonvoting members. This period  can also serve as an
experiment to see how the representation of individuals  can best be formally
structured.
We anticipate asking interested individuals to sign a  commitment that:
    1.  They are not  currently members of any other GNSO constituency
    2.  Their interest  in domain name policy relates to their individual use
and public interest  aspects
We will be announcing a signup process  soon.