Individual representation in NCUC

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Tue Jun 24 07:42:05 CEST 2008

<dear all: A proposition to be discussed at our meeting today.>

In preparation for the GNSO reforms, which we anticipate will open up
both the commercial and noncommercial stakeholder groups to individuals,
NCUC wishes to extend an invitation to interested individual registrants
to formally register with and participate in NCUC on a provisional
basis.

In line with our previously stated position on GNSO reform, we believe
that individuals who register domain names and take an interest in
domains for personal use, and/or are mostly concerned with the public
interest aspects of domain name policy, should be admitted into the
Noncommercial Users stakeholder group. Examples of such individual users
would be a person with a personal domain for an email account, a domain
name holder with a family web site or blog, or individual academics or
members of noncommercial organizations who find it too difficult or lack
the standing to get their organization to formally join on an
organizational basis

(Individuals who register domain names for business purposes - e.g.,
investors in the domain name market, small businesses, and consultants -
and are mainly concerned with the way domain name policy affects their
business activity should be represented through the Commercial Users
stakeholder group.)

Until the GNSO reforms are completed, we propose to add noncommercial
individuals as provisional, nonvoting members. This period can also
serve as an experiment to see how the representation of individuals can
best be formally structured.

We anticipate asking interested individuals to sign a commitment that:

1.	They are not currently members of any other GNSO constituency
2.	Their interest in domain name policy relates to their individual
use and public interest aspects

We will be announcing a signup process soon.