Fwd: [council] Draft Whois Motion

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Mon Jun 23 00:27:46 CEST 2008

Here is something else for us to consider on Tuesday, a motion for
testing hypothesis on whois data.

I've been informed that the Registry constituency has changed its
position  and is now in favor of some form of studies.  See the
motion below.

Best,
Robin
--------------------------------

Whereas:
On 27 March 2007 the Council resolved to form a group of volunteers
to review and discuss the ‘Report on Public Suggestions on Further
Studies of WHOIS’; develop a proposed list, if any, of recommended
studies for which ICANN staff will be asked to provide cost estimates
to the Council; and deliver the list of recommendations with
supporting rationale not later than 24 April 2008

On 16 April the Government Advisory Committee submitted to the ICANN
Board recommendations for future studies of WHOIS

On 22 May the group of volunteers submitted a report to the Council
offering two opposing viewpoints on whether studies of WHOIS should
be conducted

There was not agreement in the Whois Studies volunteer group
regarding whether or not any studies should be conducted.

Before finalizing a decision regarding whether any studies should be
conducted, it should be useful to 1) understand the full set of
hypotheses to be tested, 2) determine which of those hypotheses, if
tested, might provide useful direction with regard to Whois policy,
and 3) to ensure that the collection of hypotheses adequately cover
alternative view points with regard to Whois policy.

Resolved:
To reconvene another group of volunteers, which may include members
of the earlier group and/or new volunteers to:
1.     Review the study recommendations offered through the public
comment period and by the GAC and prepare a concise list of
hypotheses to be tested, derived from the study recommendations and
suggested benefits.

2.     Deliver a report containing the above with any supporting
rationale to the Council by XX-YY.

3.     The Council will then decide whether any potential studies
should be further considered, and if so, identify hypotheses that it
would like the staff to determine cost, feasibility, potential
methodology, and estimated time frames for testing.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes at verisign.com>
> Date: June 22, 2008 2:43:12 PM PDT
> To: <council at gnso.icann.org>
> Subject: [council] Draft Whois Motion
>
> Mike, Tim, Liz and I would like to submit the attached motion for
> consideration in our Council meeting this week.  Please distribute
> it to your constituencies ASAP and discuss it on Tuesday so that we
> can act on it on Wednesday.  Of course, if anyone has alternative
> motions, they are welcome.
>
> Chuck

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org