Assessing the ICANN JPA

Adam Peake ajp at GLOCOM.AC.JP
Mon Jan 21 08:30:49 CET 2008

At 11:54 AM +0800 1/21/08, Horacio T. Cadiz wrote:
>Milton L Mueller wrote:
>>A debate is developing over the future of the ICANN "Joint project
>>agreement" with the US Commerce Department. Comment deadline is Feb.
>>15th, I have seen astoundingly little discussion of that topic here. On
>>today's IGP blog, I seek to stimulate some discussion of that issue.
>>Please take a look and let me know what you think.
>>http://blog.internetgovernance.org/blog/_archives/2008/1/17/3470996.html
>
>   Without the JPA, to whom will ICANN be accountable? Who will be
>able to pull its strings? Are there viable candidates?

I've been meaning to write a similar comment to another list --
distracted by work...

ICANN's done well to reach the point where the Board is able to
respond to the JPA in this way.  Unlike ICANN's approach to the MoU,
the requirements of the JPA have been addressed more as project
milestones to be taken up and made progress with.  And on all the
main issues ICANN is making progress.  But who will hold ICANN
accountable for continuing progress is a good question, clearly the
department of commerce has been able to focus ICANN's attention.

I'd like to see ICANN maintain these milestones (finishing the JPA
requirements), to set others for itself (through the community), and
establish some new independent entity to assess compliance/progress.
A multi-stakeholder (obviously) group that receives reports on
accomplishments.  External audit/trustee committee? I think the
NomCom shows ICANN is capable of setting up independent processes.
Independent of staff and board that is -- and I wouldn't suggest any
new oversight entity be made up of ICANN constituencies as the NomCom
is.  ICANN has cash to pay law firms and the like to run such
oversight process.

I hope the NCUC will support ICANN's response to the JPA, that it
should be concluded, but we should also require continued independent
oversight to assess bylaws compliance, progress with milestones, etc.

Adam