US Govt Agrees with NCUC on ICANN's "Inappropriate" Plan to Police Morality and Public Order

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Tue Dec 23 16:54:21 CET 2008

K:

Yours is a tough but justifiable position. In favor of "abandonment,"
there are a host of things about the new gTLD process that are horrific
and need to be resisted, including most obviously the absurdly high
costs and the MAPO (morality and public order) regulations, which
apparently even the USG thinks is straying too far out of scope.

On the downside, shutting down the addition of new TLDs puts a brake on
new entry into the industry, which is especially harmful to those who
want to come in with new IDN top level domains. It caves in to the
trademark interests, which I am sure you would not like. And it also
speaks to the failure of the bottom up process. It basically says that
GNSO is incapable of delivering a legitimate policy outcome, because a
policy that came out of GNSO with the requisite votes would be
abandoned, and where does that leave us?

I myself am a bit divided on the issue. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I
think we should join forces with those who want to junk the thing, even
if many of them are less than palatable allies. On the other days of the
week, I wonder what the heck ICANN's so-called bottom up policy process
can deliver if it can't deliver this. (Today is Tuesday ;-)).

About 75% of the problem is the staff's poor implementation of the
general policy that the GNSO gave it. I think I would prefer a middle
ground, in which we concentrate fire on the staff implementation and
send the staff back to the drawing board (not the entire policy) and in
particular we get them to reduce the costs and to moderate the MAPO
stuff. But if the general constituency thinks that we should try to sink
the ship, I'd go along.

--MM