US Govt Agrees with NCUC on ICANN's "Inappropriate" Plan to Police Morality and Public Order

Konstantinos Komaitis k.komaitis at STRATH.AC.UK
Mon Dec 22 11:11:10 CET 2008

My personal view is that ICANN should abandon the whole new gTLD process
altogether ­ at least for the time being ­ in order to address all the
issues that seem to generate concerns. From my reading of the proposal my
understanding has been that ICANN has voiced, but not quite addressed, the
issues that would make the addition of new gTLDs debatable. The proposal
seems draft as in all three categories that ICANN suggests there are serious
legitimate objections that ICANN has not managed to resolve. I think that
this time ICANN¹s effort can be seen as a massive failure. Unlike the UDRP
(still a policy making process falling outside ICANN¹s remit) which came
straight from the MoU and was curing the problematics of the former NSI
policy as well as the general issue of domain names vs trademarks, the new
policy serves no such purpose. The way I see it, it is an attempt of ICANN
to politically position itself once again only this time in a more
substantial way. It is a very big move which at the same time signals and
offers some insight as to what ICANN is capable of doing when it comes fully
independent (after the expiration of the JPA).
If the new policy raises objections from the US Government and some part of
the trademark constituency then I think we need to put more pressure on
ICANN and we stand a better chance of having our voices heard.

Happy holidays to everyone.

Best

KK