US Govt Agrees with NCUC on ICANN's "Inappropriate" Plan to Police Morality and Public Order

Harold Feld hfeld at MEDIAACCESS.ORG
Mon Dec 22 04:49:04 CET 2008

The USG is going to undergo serious change in how it approaches these
things sometime in the next 6 months or so, although possibly not even
for a year dependning on who gets appointed to what.

I am sufficiently removed from this issue these days to guess how
career staff are on the issue.  I also anticipate that ICANN will be
very low on USG priority  list for NTIA.  Our transition to digital
television will absorb almost all attention at NTIA until the end of
February at a minimum.

Mind, I don't expect ICANN to do the smart thing and ignore this
letter as the last hurrah of a discredited administration --
especially when it jibes with too many staff prejudices. But it really
should not have the influence that it undoubtedly will.

Harold