50th Anniversary UN Declaration of Human Rights

Kathy Kleiman Kathy at KATHYKLEIMAN.COM
Fri Dec 12 02:41:17 CET 2008

Hi All,
Yesterday was the 50th Anniversary of the UN Declaration of Human
Rights, and I wanted to congratulation us. Within ICANN, the NCUC, since
its founding, has been the voice of the UN Declaration of Human Rights,
especially Article 19, and it has been a difficult, but wonderful
responsibility. As you know, Article 19 proclaims the right of freedom
of expression:

        /Article 19./

      Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this
      right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and
      to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any
      media and regardless of frontiers.

Since our first NCUC resolutions in August 1999 in Santiago, Chile
(1999), the NCUC has urged ICANN to protect freedom of expression and
personal privacy. We have worked so hard to protect the rights of
noncommercial speech, speakers and domain name holders. It has been our
job, and responsibility, to remind the commercial community, and the
rest of ICANN, of the importance of personal, political and religious
speech.  They often forget (or never knew) that for its first few
decades, the Internet (under DARPA and NSF) barred commercial speech.
The only Internet speech allowed was noncommercial, educational and
research -- a ban that continued into the early 1990s.

Many proposed policies -- including the UDRP (as first drafted) -- would
have been tremendously damaging to noncommercial speech. We fought them
and committed the Constituency to protecting highe values, those of the
Declaration of Human Rights.

My great thanks to our officers and GNSO reps for the wonderful job of
NCUC. Under difficult circumstances and almost always as a minority
voice, we fought for international human rights and giving meaning to
Article 19 in the Internet Age. We have made a unique and critically
important contribution to ICANN. We have made the Internet a better
place for our children.

I think Eleanor Roosevelt, chairman of the UN Declaration of Human
Rights Committee  (and my personal heroine) would have been proud. I
wish our current officers, GNSO reps and members the best in the
struggles ahead.  Preserving human rights is an awesome task.

Best,
Kathy Kleiman, Esq.
Co-Founder of ICANN's Noncommercial Users Constituency (back in the old
days of 1999)

 From the UN website:

        On December 10, 1948 the General Assembly of the United Nations
        adopted and proclaimed the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
        the full text of which appears in the following pages. Following
        this historic act the Assembly called upon all Member countries
        to publicize the text of the Declaration and "to cause it to be
        disseminated, displayed, read and expounded principally in
        schools and other educational institutions, without distinction
        based on the political status of countries or territories."

        http://www.un.org/Overview/rights.html