Charters

William Drake william.drake at GRADUATEINSTITUTE.CH
Mon Dec 1 08:58:56 CET 2008

Hello all,

Let me echo the comments of Milton, Konstantinos, Norbert, Mary, with
respect to welcoming new members, the general dynamics of GNSO and
ICANN, and the NCUC approved charter that has been submitted.  On the
last point, as the others have already reaffirmed that NCUC's draft
charter (which most definitely is not just "Milton's proposal") was
considered over a period of time and debated in an open and inclusive
manner, there's not much point in me reconstructing the trajectory
again here.  I would simply amplify two points: First, for an
"alternative charter" to be considered, it would have had to be
submitted  much earlier in the process, before the community reached
closure on the other.  Proposing to tear up an agreed text after it
has already been submitted just doesn't work, and frankly we would
look pretty foolish in the eyes of the other groups involved in ICANN
which, as Mary has noted, generally have noncommercial interests and
their volunteer representatives pretty heavily outgunned.  This would
really do damage to our shared interests at precisely the worst time,
given the restructuring underway.  Second, and again as Mary has
emphasized, we really do need to avoid fragmentation as much as
possible.  Overly complex structures that magnify differences rather
than build on commonalities will just weaken our voice within ICANN
and strengthen the power asymmetries that undercut noncommercial
interests.  It's really not necessary in order to respect and give
full airing to minority views.  And as a practical matter, it would
be difficult to populate and sustain such an architecture with
volunteer labor; just keeping afloat with what we have is demanding
enough.

As a relative newcomer who's still struggling to get fully up to
speed on NCUC and GNSO, I fully appreciate that coming into a process
that has been unfolding for some time can lead to unfavorable
impressions, and I wish we and ICANN more generally had better
mechanisms in place to facilitate new people's integration than
simply recommending that they read backwards in list archives.  But
we don't, so everyone must muddle through.  But at least the
collaboration here is transparent and conducted in good faith, and
people have followed agreed processes to agreed conclusions.  Milton
did a good job facilitating that, and in consequence we've submitted
a charter that's really pretty good.  But if people want to suggest
reconsideration of various elements after we hear back from the board
and staff, of course they should do so at that time.

Best,

Bill

William J. Drake
Senior Associate