US Govt Agrees with NCUC on ICANN's "Inappropriate" Plan to Police Morality and Public Order

Norbert Klein nhklein at GMX.NET
Sat Dec 20 10:53:28 CET 2008

Thanks a lot, Robin, for sharing this.

I take it as a very welcome appraisal for a position we have taken again and
again, and for which we - especially also those of us on the GNSO Council at
certain times, on behalf of the NCUC - have been criticized for "preventing
consensus building" etc.

Norbert

=

On Saturday, 20 December 2008 13:49:29 Robin Gross wrote:

> The US Govt submitted its comments to ICANN on the introduction of
> new gTLDs.
>      http://forum.icann.org/lists/gtld-guide/msg00175.html
>
> And the US Govt agreed with a point NCUC has been making throughout
> this entire process.  The US suggests ICANN "Focus on coordinating
> technical functions related to the management of the DNS and not on
> matters more appropriately addressed by governments, such as
> adjudication of morality and public order and the community
> objections in accordance with international human rights law.  The
> proposed mechanisms are inappropriate."
>
> Interesting to say the least.
>
> Best,
> Robin

==
Phnom Penh/Cambodia
PGP key-id 0x0016D0A9

If you want to know what is going on in Cambodia, please visit us regularly -
you can find something new every day:

http://cambodiamirror.wordpress.com (English)
http://kanhchoksangkum.wordpress.com (Khmer)