50th Anniversary UN Declaration of Human Rights

William Drake william.drake at GRADUATEINSTITUTE.CH
Fri Dec 12 17:49:58 CET 2008

Hi,

The UN in Geneva had a big to do the other day for this, in my wife's
building actually, the place was packed.  I didn't get in, but from
what I heard there wasn't much discussion of the Internet and related
global communication aspects.  Which isn't entirely surprising, given
the composition and orientation of the HRC, etc.  You can check out
the program and list of speakers (including governments that spent
the day arresting people) at http://www2.ohchr.org/english/bodies/
hrcouncil/UDHR60/index.htm.  From civil society, here's who they had:

1. Ms. Irene Khan
Secretary-General of Amnesty International (AI)
2. Mr. Wilton Littlechild
Chief of Ermineskin Cree nation, indigenous representative
3. Ms. Viktória Mohácsi
Roma community representative
4. Ms. Souhayr Belhassen
President of Fédération Internationale des Ligues des Droits de
l'Homme (FIDH)
5. Ms. Bian Jianxin
Gold medalist of women powerlifting, Beijing 2008 Paralympic Games

It would have been nice to have a RSF rep or someone like that in the
mix...

That said, thanks Kathy for noting the connections to NCUC work etc.

Best,

Bill

William J. Drake
Senior Associate
Centre for International Governance
Graduate Institute of International and
   Development Studies
Geneva, Switzerland
william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
New book: Governing Global Electronic Networks,
http://tinyurl.com/5mh9jj