Report on 10.12.08 GNSO WHOIS Discussion

Brendler, Beau Brenbe at CONSUMER.ORG
Fri Dec 12 15:03:28 CET 2008

I think I can probably help with the processes. I can tell you there are a range of opinions on WHOIS within the ALAC, the predictable split being between those who take a strong privacy stance (and generally tend to be of the opinion that no more studies are needed), and those who would like to see, at minimum, more accurate WHOIS data in the cause of providing consumers some means of accountability and redress when doing business. You can probably guess that I tend to be of the enforcement/accuracy/accountability/anti-fraud camp. And WHOIS is one of the ICANN issues I'm most interested in -- being a relative newcomer I am not burned out on it yet.

I would be happy to help in any way I can. ALAC made a rather watery statement about WHOIS a couple of months ago that I voted against. From what I understand, a fairly generous portion of the ALAC would like to see the issue move forward and would be willing to make another statement.

Beau Brendler (the below-mentioned new liaison)
From: Non-Commercial User Constituency [NCUC-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Milton L Mueller [mueller at SYR.EDU]
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2008 4:13 AM
To: NCUC-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: Report on 10.12.08 GNSO WHOIS Discussion

Thanks, Bill for this great report and set of action items.

Can we agree on how to proceed?

a.  Rank all studies Low Priority, or No Study Needed?  Differentiate and maybe identify one or two as potentially desirable, to show willingness to compromise?

Perfect.

 1.  Reach out to RC and ALAC, or don't bother and just do our bit?

If you have time, definitely reach out to RrC; ALAC will be more difficult because they have “processes” to follow, but maybe our new ALAC liaison could help us out here.

Who would like to do the coordination and physical inputting of responses?

Due to my need to travel on the early morning (European time) of the 18th, I cannot volunteer to do this. I would otherwise. Robin?

***
Scanned

**
This e-mail message is intended only for the designated recipient(s) named above. The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments may be confidential or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, retain, copy, redistribute or use this e-mail or any attachment for any purpose, or disclose all or any part of its contents.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and permanently delete this e-mail and any attachments from your computer system.