Fwd: [NCUC-DISCUSS] Fwd: [council] FYI - ALAC letter sent to Board on Domain "Reservation"

Norbert Klein nhklein at GMX.NET
Sat Apr 5 11:56:55 CEST 2008

On Saturday, 5 April 2008 07:56:49 Robin Gross wrote:

> Perhaps NCUC should submit a statement supporting ALAC's letter to
> the board on domain name front-running.   What do others think?
>
> Thanks,
> Robin

Especially in view of the following paragraph of Wendy Seltzer's ALAC mail, I
support Robin's suggestion.

> >> The community's trust in ICANN's ability to manage the
> >> Domain Name System is at stake.  It is inappropriate
> >> for such registrar activities to proceed unabated in a
> >> policy vaccuum.  Accordingly we call upon the ICANN
> >> board to establish a temporary narrowly-tailored
> >> policy as a stopgap until such time as the relevant
> >> policy-recommending ICANN Supporting Organizations can
> >> provide a comprehensive consensus policy solution.
> >>
> >> [Submitted to Board via At-Large Advisory Committee Board Liaison,
> >> Wendy Seltzer]

I suggest this in spite of the fact that the GNSO chair - Avri Doria - has in
the meantime shared that the ICANN board chair does not think emergency
action is required." (I am surprised.)

As NCUC is standing on the side of consumers - many of whom are negatively
affected, as ALAC says - I think it would be appropriate to take a similar
stand and make it public that we support the ALAC position.

Norbert

--
If you want to know what is going on in Cambodia,
please visit us regularly - you can find something new every day:

http://cambodiamirror.wordpress.com (English)
http://kanhchoksangkum.wordpress.com (Khmer)