new gtld policy update - 11 April mtg and staff notes

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Tue Apr 22 23:07:11 CEST 2008

There will be a public comment period for the draft RFP, but it is
not determined when that will be, probably several months off.

Perhaps we should make a request that ICANN accept public comment now
on the work currently being done.

I should also mention that ICANN is working on creating a computer
algorithm to make determinations about string "similarity" and
"likelihood of confusion".   They are trying to use trademark terms
with legal definitions in ways entirely unintended and that do not
match the legal meanings.

It would not surprise me if that ICANN board simply did not accept
many of the GNSO/(icann-staff) recommendations as many of them are
not implementable.

Robin

On Apr 22, 2008, at 5:05 AM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> Thanks, Robin for this excellent summary of the challenging issues
> before us. Are there any impending public comment opportunities to
> raise these issues (especially the staff’s alarming reintroduction
> of beauty contests)?
>
> What we see here is a disturbing but somewhat predictable tendency
> to create what you call “carve-outs” – special, privileged rules
> tailored to specific interests that allow them to bypass the normal
> objections process. So in addition to the already Byzantine and
> unpredictable process we add another layer of carveouts. What a
> nightmare!

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org