NomCom selections announced

Cheryl Preston prestonc at LAWGATE.BYU.EDU
Wed Sep 26 18:29:42 CEST 2007

Milton, in addition could you tell us who has served on the Executive Committee of the NCUC in the past, especially those who are still in the group?

I note Adam's comment below about experience being a plus.  Unless we branch out and give new people a chance to work up through the Executive Committee to Chair and to positions that we select for other committees, the NCUC will become dependent on a small, tight group with similar interests and positions.  A circulating system where some people with experience are combined with some new people seems preferable.  A regular influx of new officers, with new ideas and perspectives, representing a different variety of the members of the constituency seems critical to keeping the NCUC and ICANN as "bottom-up" organizations, that are in touch with, and representative of, all users of the Internet. The "new" people then become experienced and rotate through along with the next generation of new people.  The prior officers of NCUC have done a great job, but do we want to foreclose the involvement of folks who were not here in the beginning?

I would propose that the Chair be elected from the Executive Committee, and then on some rotation basis new members get a chance at being on the Executive Committee and moving up to Chair.  Am I wrong?

Cheryl B. Preston
Edwin M. Thomas
Professor of Law
J. Reuben Clark Law School
Brigham Young University
424 JRCB
Provo, UT 84602
(801) 422-2312
prestonc at lawgate.byu.edu

>>> Milton L Mueller <mueller at SYR.EDU> 9/26/2007 7:16 am >>>
Adam, good point. We can take care of our Nomcom selection immediately via the Executive Committee, which has formal responsibility for it, or we could fold it into our general elections. If anyone else is interested in being considered for that position, please make your availability known.

Adam I heard a rumour that you were interested in running for chair of NCUC, is that true?
--MM

Checked by AVG Free Edition.