Urgent: your response needed

Danny Younger dannyyounger at YAHOO.COM
Sun Sep 16 22:21:11 CEST 2007

--- Milton L Mueller <mueller at SYR.EDU> wrote:

> I am asking ALL NCUC members to express their
> opinion on this by replying to this email. Just
> check one of the two boxes. Add comments if you have
> any.
>

> NCUC should respond to the Draft Staff Report on
> Whois by expressing its support for Motion #3
> contained in the report. That motion declares that
> there is no consensus on existing Whois policy and
> asks that the Whois portions of the Registrar
> Accreditation Agreement be "sunsetted" (i.e.,
> expired) at the end of 2008. This motion should NOT
> be withdrawn if Motion #1 passes.
>

> /___/ AGREE
>

> /_X_/ DISAGREE

Milton,

As I see it, we have two choices:

(1)  Continue to work to craft a consensus-based
policy or;
(2)  Choose not to have any standardized policy on the
issue

The objective in the latest round of discussions was
to determine whether one particular proposal (OPoC)was
capable of being implemented.  As I recall, the
general understanding was that if a proposal did not
sufficiently rise to the occasion, that other
proposals would be considered.

To the best of my knowledge, there still remain at
least three other proposals that have not yet been
subjected to community-wide scrutiny and consideration
through a focused WG process:

a.  The proposal tendered by Avri, Robin and Wendy
b.  The Natural Persons proposal that I authored
c.  The IPC Special Circumstances Proposal

While I support the concept of "letting the market
decide", and view Ross's proposal as being perfectly
in keeping with consensus theory, I am not convinced
that we should opt for no standardized policy as long
as other options that have the potential to result in
a consensus-based formulation are still outstanding.

Accordingly, I will not support the registrar motion
at this time (but may be willing to support it at a
later date if no other potentially-implementable
proposals manage to garner support).

Best regards,
Danny Younger