Urgent: your response needed

Alan Levin alan at AFRIDNS.ORG
Tue Sep 18 16:56:31 CEST 2007

Mawaki,

On 18 Sep 2007, at 4:07 PM, Mawaki Chango wrote:

> not to discuss your vote, but just one question and a comment on
> your comment:

Thanks for your reply.

> i) when you say the current system is working, do you mean the
> specifications of whois database are operable, or that icann
> registrar contracts are enforceable everywhere as it requires?
> (by the way, I'm not sure which are those 15 countries that have
> the privilege to lead the global internet policy).

I'm sorry but I'm not sure what you mean.

Simply put, I don't think that the system should change, other than
possibly shifting to a fat registry system (which is more technical
policy than whois).

> ii) be aware that the kind of records you report in your message
> has the particularity to make law enforcement and intellectual
> property folks nervous. in marrakesh, i asked the US consumer
> protection commissioner whether they will be ok with registrars
> and domain name retailers (e.g., yahoo) offering to shield
> registrant's information for a fee, and he said they'd be very
> concerned if that business model keeps developing.

I understand. Everyone has an opinion on whois :)

I personally prefer the current system to those proposed because in
my experience the current system has benefited non-commercial and
commercial organisations alike.

> the problem I
> personally have with that model is, you don't only pay on per
> registrant basis but for each name you register (so you pay 10
> times for 10 names registered even if your contact information
> is strictly the same in the 10 cases.)

The product depends on the service provider. You are discussing the
merits of one reseller product in a policy discussion. Anyone can
develop a product which allows you to do it like you want it. With
another hat on, I have been helping non-profits to do it like you are
suggesting for almost a decade.

> Anyway, I don't see that model representing any consensus so
> far; maybe if it changes to one-time fee per registrant and for
> the duration of registration or renewal, then perhaps individual
> users may weigh in on that side.

So yes, this service is something that I have been providing long
before the whois debate started. Hence my reticence for the proposed
policy. Anyone can do it like you suggest, and hence my concern for
over-regulation...

regards

Alan

--