Elections

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Sat Oct 27 02:23:48 CEST 2007

Cheryl,

I'm puzzled how you can ask us to vote for you to be our leader and
refuse to state your policy objectives on issues the constituency works
on.

NCUC is made up of various organizations with a diversity of viewpoints
that find a common constituency position for issues in the GNSO.  The
policy positions that the constituency takes in the GNSO process are
directly derived from the positions of the constituency's various
individual organizations.  So we have every right to ask in which
direction you would lead us?  And I'm concerned that you don't trust us
enough to tell us your views.

One must understand how policy is made at ICANN (with constituencies
*taking* positions that are negotiated with other constituencies to
reach a consensus).  So to say NCUC should be "neutral" on policy issues
is like saying we should abdicate our responsibility in the GNSO to
protect the interests on non-commercial users and the public interest.
Certainly we cannot simply leave it up to the businesses to work out
policies that will protect consumer rights and fundamental freedoms as
you suggest.

The most significant policy issue that NCUC has been engaged in for the
last 7 years, reform of ICANN's whois database policy (so it will comply
with privacy laws), is up for an important vote at the LA meeting.  The
process has been at a stalemate for years and could very well continue
that way for years more.  This policy issue is a key concern for our
constituency and we need to find an endgame that protects the privacy
rights of Internet users.  Since you think the only requirement for
leadership in NCUC is being "new", how will your "new" perspective lead
us to a whois endgame that protects privacy?

Thanks,
Robin