Board minutes on Telnic WHOIS Proposal

Norbert Klein nhklein at GMX.NET
Sun Oct 21 20:16:49 CEST 2007

Danny Younger wrote:
> Milton, below are the comments that I sent through to
> the GA list:
>

> The GAC Sucks
>
> The recently posted Board minutes tell us that "The
> Whois Procedure for Conflicts with National Laws is
> not yet implemented pending GAC input"
>
> This is completely unacceptable.  This Consensus
> Policy was adopted 17 months ago.  To have ICANN
> paralyzed by the debility of the GAC impacts all of us
> (across every constituency).
>
> We are starting to run into real problems just because
> the GAC can't get its act together.  Consider the
> Canadian comments on ICANN Draft Accountability &
> Transparency Frameworks and Principles:
>
> "There remain concerns about the amount and pace of
> work being undertaken in ICANN and its supporting
> organisations.  In the past year this has been
> overwhelming for governments, and for others who want
> to be involved but are unable to sustain the amount of
> effort required."
>
> This is crap.  If we unpaid volunteers can stay on top
> of matters, there is no excuse for governments (that
> command a wealth of resources) not to be able to get
> their work done in an efficient and responsible
> manner.
>
> To delay the implementation of a Consensus Policy for
> this long solely because the GAC hasn't yet issued a
> formal opinion is just plain wrong.

Agreed, Danny - what I am often surprised is that governments (or their
GAC representatives) who do not share the Canadian government's opinion
you quote - are quiet in the open GAC meetings and do not say what they
said five minutes ago over a cup of coffee.

Why is it possible that there is not more open sharing of disagreement
WITHIN GAC about some of these issues? I try to talk to some people
privately, but what would help would be that they speak openly about
their view of adhering or violating their national laws.

Norbert

--
If you want to know what is going on in Cambodia,
please visit us regularly - you can find something new every day:

http://cambodiamirror.wordpress.com