GNSO Improvements Report Posted

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Sat Oct 20 14:18:41 CEST 2007

No time to go into detail, but the report is a half-win for us. They seem to have closely followed our recommendations for constituency structure: it proposes 4 constituencies (Registrars, Registries, Noncommercial users, Commercial users) with the same number of votes. It also seems to acknowledge or embrace our idea of allowing individuals to join either commercial or noncommercial constituencies (NB: Kathy Kleiman!) but not both. It does not attempt to insert ALAC into the GNSO.

The bad news is that they have, despite all our enlightening experience with the Whois WG, clung to the notion that "voting is polarizing" and should be minimized or eliminated.

I thought the fantasies about consensus were ended when the Whois WG, which operated entirely without voting and sought "consensus," collapsed in disagreement and polarization in August. The Whois WG gave us a taste of what "consensus decision making" will really be like when the chair, trademark lobbyist Philip Shepherd, unable to reach anything near a consensus, _redefined consensus_ as "a majority of whoever showed up on the latest phone call" in order to be able to declare that he had one.

--MM