Elections

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Mon Oct 29 05:43:07 CET 2007

That last sentence is a real mouthful. But let me assure you that even if Whois were completely abolished, tomorrow, national governments (and even some private parties) would still have the full power to:

a) take down completely domains that are responsible for illegal activity

b) issue subpoenas or warrants requiring registrars to reveal the personal identification data of the domain holder

The debate about Whois is not about whether that can happen. It is about whether anyone on the internet can see the private contact data, or whether there will be some minor restrictions on access to that data.

> consensus.  The answer has never been to abolish all registration
> information on boats or airplanes.

Again, be clear about what is being proposed. No one is talking about abolishing registration data. That is not being discussed or proposed by anyone. Please stay within the confines of the facts surrounding this debate.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.