Elections

Robert Guerra lists at PRIVATERRA.INFO
Wed Oct 24 22:25:25 CEST 2007

Neal:

While most of the other positions open for election have been filled
by acclamation , that is not the case for the position of the North
America rep on the Executive committee.

For that position, there's a contest - Cheryl and I are the two
candidates.

Let me share a quick bio blurb as well as my objectives for NCUC
should I have the opportunity to be re-elected as the North American
representative on the executive committee.

Short Bio:

http://www.icannwiki.org/Robert_Guerra

I am based in Toronto, Canada and am one of the founding directors of
Privaterra - an ongoing project of the SAGE Charitable foundation
that works with NGOs to assist them with issues of data privacy,
secure communications and information security. In that capacity, I
am frequently invited to speak at events to share the challenges
being faced by  a variety of social justice NGOs in regards to
surveillance, censorship and privacy.

I am currently the NCUC representative for Computer Professionals for
Social Responsibility (CPSR), acting also as their board secretary. I
was actively involved in the the UN World Summit - being an active
member of civil society bureau , the internet governance caucus as
well as being the NGO advisor to the official Canadian Government
delegation.

In terms of disclosure -  I currently  advise  several non-profits
and/or their related projects , including Taking IT Global,
DiploFoundation's Internet Governance and Policy Capacity Building
Programme, The Open Net Initiative and The Internet Corporations for
Assigned Names and Numbers's At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) and
its Security and Stability Advisory Committee - to name a few.

Objectives I envision for NCUC in 07/08:

- NCUC needs to further develop its efforts to make sure that ICANN
stays focused on its narrow core mission of technical co-ordination.
- While ICANN is to be congratulated on its efforts to implement IDN,
it must not get in the business of being a content regulator.  KTCN
needs to be supported - and strongly by NCUC members without
reservation.
- Yes, there are strong opinions on censorship and "inappropriate
content" , however ICANN is not the  place nor the venue where the
issue should be discussed. Content regulation is inconsistent with
Freedom of expression principles.  NCUC's message on this must be
strong and clear.
- Funding needs to be obtained to ensure that get NCUC members can
participate in ongoing ICANN policy areas such as GNSO
- Support idea that funding should be drawn from ICANN's ever
increasing surplus to fund (without strings) participation of GNSO
members who do not have he financial means to do so. Financial
support should be based only on  financial need.
- Support idea that NCUC officially and unofficially engage other key
icann stakeholders on issues of common interest and concern. Building
strategic alliances is important - NCUC should pursue this to the
best of its ability.
- Outreach activities should be pursued to help promote NCUC message.
These should including blog postings by NCUC excom members as well as
speaking engagements at fora where non commercial users and/or groups
might be present.

Should you have any questions  - please, feel free to post a comment .

it would be an honour to be re-lected to the NCUC excom.

regards

Robert