Transfer Fees

Horacio T. Cadiz hcadiz at PH.NET
Fri May 18 07:54:02 CEST 2007

Mawaki Chango wrote:

>> Transfer-away fees defeat the intent of the Transfers
>> Policy, namely facile domain name portability.  The
>> NCUC should press the Council to have the Transfer
>> Policy Review Committee address the issue of fees
>> asscociated with the transfer process.

   A transfer-away fee imposed by the losing registrar would be a barrier for a
registrant's transfer.  No such fees should be imposed by the losing registrar.
It should be part and parcel of the losing registrar's service. Otherwise, the
fees could be made so exorbitant as to force the registrant to stay with the
registrar.

   However, I think it should be left to the choice of the gaining registrar to
charge such a fee -- whether bundled with its service or not.  As long as there
are multiple non-colluding registrars, the registrant would always have a choice
of a new registrar.

--
Bombim Cadiz