let's try for a Sunday call?

Avri Doria avri at LTU.SE
Thu May 17 15:25:09 CEST 2007

On 17 maj 2007, at 15.09, Mawaki Chango wrote:

> let's go for skype (and of course anyone who wants
> to abstain is free to do so.) Personnally, I can't be a
> fundamentalist of any board

not being fussy i use skype all the time, but do be careful if you
are using skype with a global ip address as opposed to using it
behind a nat/firewall with a local ip address.  skype uses a peer to
peer overlay network that will actually turn your node (and use your
local network) into a super node to route other people's skype
traffic.  a very kaazaa thing to do and friendly p2p sharing if you
know it is happening and don't mind.  but something that can cause
your local computer and even network to grind to a crawl in some cases.

in terms of SIP phones (e.g. X10 phones?), where does one get gateway
services to the POTS network if they don't pay for a service like
Vonage?

cheers
a.