The Cross-Registry WHOIS Database

Danny Younger dannyyounger at YAHOO.COM
Tue Mar 6 19:15:36 CET 2007

Beyond the obvious issues pertaining to DMCA-style
takedowns and cross-registry privacy concerns, I am
troubled by a process that abuses the ICANN Board
intent to obtain clarifications.

The notes from the 12 February Board meeting state:

"John Jeffrey said that subsequent to the posting of
the agreement on 5 January Susan Crawford amongst
other Board Members had asked for clarification of
language in the posted version of Appendix S."

What we have in the revised Appendix S is not
"clarification" but rather what appears to be language
that has resulted from private deal-making between the
IPC and ICM Registry.

Neither the take-down provisions nor the
cross-registry language are "clarifications"; the NCUC
should formally express their concern over this
back-channel development.