wow... finally!

Carlos Afonso ca at RITS.ORG.BR
Fri Mar 30 12:47:40 CEST 2007

The ICANN board has agreed to go ahead and open serious (I hope...)
discussion on the internationalization of ICANN! This is a result of a
proposal favoring internationalization in the President's Strategy
Committee Report.

I ought to say the report proposes an internationalization structure
basically along the lines I suggested in my WGIG book paper (which I now
consider a bit simplistic or even naive in some ways, but the basic
thing is there): international multistakeholder organization, no
predominance of any government (or any ensemble of governments), true
equal representation of all sectors with clear direct election
mechanisms of representatives etc etc. So I am particularly happy today
(let us see about tomorrow...)!

Big challenge, but they seem keen to start walking in this direction!

--c.a.