GNSO Reform Report

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Wed Jun 20 15:10:25 CEST 2007

I have just read the summary report of the ICANN Board’s Governance Committee (BGC) on the possibility of re-structuring the GNSO. This is basically the Board committee’s response to the reform recommendations of the London School of Economics report.

HYPERLINK "http://www.icann.org/announcements/summary-draft-wg-bgc-gnso-improvements-18jun07.pdf"http://www.icann.org/announcements/summary-draft-wg-bgc-gnso-improvements-18jun07.pdf

This report shows that the leadership of ICANN is taking the LSE report seriously and proposing substantive changes in the way the GNSO operates. This is good news. Since NCUC is part of the GNSO, this process will have a major and direct impact on us. For example, it could pave the way for the consolidation of existing constituencies, addition of new constituencies, changes in GNSO voting arrangements.

I will add discussion of this report to our San Juan agenda and will prepare a taking points paper, The report contains a list of questions that are being asked by the Board Committee., I will propose suggested answers that I think are good ones, and we can discuss in Puerto Rico.

--MM

Checked by AVG Free Edition.