Domain Tasting

Schulman, Lori LSchulman at MARCHOFDIMES.COM
Mon Jul 2 23:07:28 CEST 2007

Milton,

I would like to note that while domain tasting is probably not a big
problem for small NC users, it can be a big problem for well known NGOs.
Names are "tasted" and tied to directories or other giving sites that
make it appear that the information is connected with the charity when
it is not.    I agree with the arguments that domain names should not be
the exclusive "domain" (pardon the pun) of trademarks holders when it
comes to sites that legitimately criticize the rights holders.  However,
I am struggling to come up with a  rationale that allows someone to
capitalize on famous noncom names and then directs users to sites that
have nothing to do with the NGO or its mission...in my mind, it is an
authorized license at best, a fraud at worst.  In my experience, most of
the time it is fraud.

I agree that the grace period should not be considered a "right" and we
should discourage registrars from holding names that should be put back
into the pool of names.

Lori