NCUC member organization affected by take down..

Robert Guerra lists at PRIVATERRA.INFO
Sat Jan 27 13:53:05 CET 2007

I wanted to share with NCUC members the news below. Fyodor Vaskovich
is a CPSR board member, and as such this issue is one that I've
recommended CPSR try to take up with ICANN through NCUC and other
appropiate mechanisms.

I'm not sure what the appropriate  course of action and protest might
be - so, look for people's comments.

regards

Robert

--

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6153607.html

GoDaddy pulls security site after MySpace complaints
By Declan McCullagh, CNET News.com
Published on ZDNet News: January 25, 2007, 5:20 PM PTi

GoDaddy pulls security site after MySpace complaints A popular
computer security Web site was abruptly yanked offline this week by
MySpace.com and GoDaddy, the world's largest domain name registrar,
raising questions about free speech and Internet governance.

MySpace demanded that GoDaddy pull the plug on Seclists.org, which
hosts some 250,000 pages of mailing list archives and other
resources, because a list of thousands of MySpace usernames and
passwords was archived on the site. GoDaddy claims its customers own
about 18 million domains.

GoDaddy complied. In a move that Seclists.org owner Fyodor Vaskovich
said happened with no prior notice, the company deleted his domain
name--causing his site to be effectively unreachable for about seven
hours on Wednesday until he found out what was happening and removed
the password list.

"They didn't tell me why they removed the site," Vaskovich, creator
of the popular Nmap security auditing utility, said in a phone
interview. "At a very minimum, we should get warning."

Vaskovich said he spent "hours and hours" on the phone with GoDaddy
on Wednesday before he finally got through to someone who was willing
to listen. As a result of this experience, he said in an e-mail
announcement, "I'm in the market for a new registrar. One who doesn't
immediately bend over for any large corporation who asks."

For her part, GoDaddy general counsel Christine Jones defended the
abrupt deletion, saying: "We tried to contact the registrant, but
they were not available at the time. To protect the MySpace users
from potentially having private information revealed, we removed the
site."

Jones pointed out that GoDaddy's terms of service say the company
"reserves the right to terminate your access to the services at any
time, without notice, for any reason whatsoever."

Jones and Vaskovich, however, tell substantially different versions
of exactly what happened. Jones characterized the episode as lasting
only about an hour, saying her abuse department unsuccessfully "tried
to contact" Vaskovich and "he actually contacted us about an hour"
later after the removal occurred.

But Vaskovich provided CNET News.com with a log of correspondence
from GoDaddy that corroborates his version of the story. It indicated
that only 52 seconds elapsed from an initial voice mail notification
to the time the domain was marked as "suspended." GoDaddy did not
immediately respond to follow-up questions.

Vaskovich says MySpace did not contact him directly. MySpace declined
to respond to repeated inquiries on Thursday.

Michael Froomkin, a law professor at the University of Miami who has
written about domain name regulation, says this is the first time
he's heard of a registrar abruptly taking a customer offline without
a court order.

"Some people might feel safer with a registrar that's a little more
pro-customer," Froomkin said.

Froomkin said this week's incident raises novel free speech
questions--not legal ones, as long as GoDaddy's terms of service are
broad enough. Rather, he said, the issue is "the quality of their
review" of complaints received from firms like MySpace.

GoDaddy's Jones said that "we're not knee-jerk--we try to be
responsible about verifying complaints." There's a broad spectrum of
policies among domain name registrars, she acknowledged, with GoDaddy
"probably the most aggressive."

But, Jones said, GoDaddy has a 24-hour abuse department that deletes
domain names used for spam or child pornography on a daily basis.
"We're not here to allow people to put illegal content on the
Internet," she said. "We take this safety and the security of the
Internet very seriously...We take our responsibility pretty
seriously. We're the largest registrar in the world."

When asked if GoDaddy would remove the registration for a news site
like CNET News.com, if a reader posted illegal information in a
discussion forum and editors could not be immediately reached over a
holiday, Jones replied: "I don't know...It's a