constituency statements for whois proceeding

KathrynKL at AOL.COM KathrynKL at AOL.COM
Sun Jan 14 20:43:40 CET 2007

All,
I think Milton's first draft is a good one, but I have some thoughts.  I
would emphasize a few points:
       -     why the OPOC proposal is not our first choice -- that it is
something we came too a bit reluctantly and that it is a big compromise for NCUC;
      -      that the Tiered Access proposal being floated are not
acceptable.  At the Marrakech meeting, NCUC agreed that we want due process for the
disclosure of underlying personal data (in the manner that ISPs, for example,
disclose email or chatroom identities or telephone companies disclose unlisted
telephone numbers).  Due process helps not only users/registrants, but also
registrars and registries by creating clear, legal guidelines.  A contract that the
party won't sell or market the data is not enough;
       -     that the Whois, as it exists and is being used, is a historical
accident inconsistent with the original purpose for which the data was
collected, the mission and goals of ICANN today and the purpose of Whois set out by
the Names Council in April 2006.  We know this well, but it always bears
repeating.

** I encourage everyone in the Constituency to draft a short comment on
behalf of their organization to support the Operational Point of Contact Proposal
(OPoC) and to say that OPoC is the only proposal being considered that balances
the interests of those holding the data (registrars and registries), those
hurt by the data's publication (noncommercial organizations and individuals) and
those who benefit from accessing the data (the 3 IP constituencies). **  Due
tomorrow.  See http://www.gnso.icann.org/comments-request/ (first item).

Edited version attached.
Best,
Kathy