NCUC elections?

Mawaki Chango ki_chango at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jan 31 00:08:49 CET 2007

Carlos,

I don't seem to recall we have agreed on postponing indefinitely the
election timeline. The initial calendar you suggested (Jan 14) has
been postponed to the last week of January due to the e-vote
logistics (which none of us has control over.) Now the vote system is
ready, and yourself you showed some concern of people not reacting to
the call for vote.

Currently, I don't see anything holding us back from proceeding with
the elections, and to assist you in clarifying this, I went theough
the previous messages since this discussion started mid December and
pasted relevant excerpts below. And please correct me if I'm wrong;
if not, let us get this out of the way, please. Unless members agree
that we should dismantle NCUC altogether because we don't live in the
ideal world where several candidates would compete for each position.
Thanks.

Carlos, Dec 13 (mistakenly sent to Milton only that date, and
reforwarded to the list):
------------
I propose the following schedule:

1. Candidates apply until Jan.14 by sending a message to the list
specifying the post for which she/he is running (chair, GNSO council,
Exec Comm).

2. On Jan.15 the chair posts the final list of candidates.

3. Through an agreed voting mechanism, the constituency proceeds to
cast
votes from Jan.16 through Jan.23 (is a full week enough?).

Last but not least, we need to build a budget for NCUC to be
submitted
to PIR and other sources, as per the above reported conversation.

Norbert, Dec 19:
-------------
I am prepared to be available again as a candidate for the NCUC
Executive Committee (Asia region), but I would welcome it if there
would
be any other person to stand as candidate and take over if elected.

I am prepared to continue to be delegated by the NCUC as a delegate
the GNSO Council;

Milton, Dec 19:
------------
>>> Norbert Klein <nhklein at GMX.NET> 12/18/2006 6:07 PM >>>
>I am prepared to be available again as a candidate for
>the NCUC Executive Committee (Asia region), but I would
>welcome it if there would be any other person to stand as
>candidate and take over if elected.

>I am prepared to continue to be delegated by the NCUC as
>a delegate to the GNSO Council; I admit that it is a hard job

It would be nice if someone would step up to help you out with one of
them, but it is good to know we have someone willing and able to do
both.

>Council) that the constituency considers who might replace
>present councilors well ahead of the time of the expiry of our
>terms

AMEN! We are in violent agreement.

Carlos, Jan 7:
----------
CGI.br informs me they would be able to activate the voting system
for
us only in the last week of January. Is this OK? Will we all be ready

for voting by then?

Carlos, Jan 22:
-----------
Thus, after trying for a while, I will keep silent on this until NCUC
decides to finally carry out the voting process.

Horacio, Jan 23:
-------------
Perhaps another e-mail about the elections is in order detailing:

1) What positions are open and
2) What the qualifications for the positions are
3) The responsibilities of the position

Milton, Jan 25:
------------
Well, since there seem to be some gaps, I offer the following:

Chair nomination: I accept.

Executive committee geographic slots:
North America: I nominate Robert Guerra
Latin Am/Caribbean: I nominate Carlos Afonso assuming that Marcelo is
not interested anymore
Asia Pacific: did Norbert get renominated? If he wants a break (he is
also on the Council) how about Mr. Cadiz?

Horoacio, Jan 26:
-------------
If you need someone from the AP and Norbert is unable to take the
load,
I'd be glad to fill in.

Milton, Jan 27:
-----------
Horacio and Adam:
Wonderful! With both of your offering we could even have a conested
election, wouldn't that be a fun change! Welcome to both of your
willingness to help.

Executive Committee is needed to vote (by email) on various
administrative decisions that come up (examples: who we appoint to
Nomcom, how we allocate funds for travel to icann meetings). By our
charter, some decisions require a certain number of voting
representatives, so it's important that you respond in a timely way.
That's is the main requirement. EC members could also take a more
active
role in recruiting new members, suggesting agenda items for meetings,
etc. if they wish.

END