Fwd: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] current proposal

Danny Younger dannyyounger at YAHOO.COM
Sun Feb 25 02:01:42 CET 2007

Re:  there is a need for a properly targeted study by
an independent third party on the data collected and
the uses to which it is put.

Sorry, but I really don't see the need for a study.
To my knowledge, no registry has yet begun collecting
such data nor have they been making commercial use of
such data.  How exactly would someone study the
current non-use of registry data?

The relevant contract language is here:

Traffic Data.  Nothing in this Agreement shall
preclude Registry Operator from making commercial use
of, or collecting, traffic data regarding domain names
or non-existent domain names for purposes such as,
without limitation, the determination of the
availability and health of the Internet, pinpointing
specific points of failure, characterizing attacks and
misconfigurations, identifying compromised networks
and hosts, and promoting the sale of domain names;
provided, however, that such use does not disclose
domain name registrant, end user information or other
Personal Data as defined in Section 3.1(c)(ii) for any
purpose not otherwise authorized by this agreement.
The process for the introduction of new Registry
Services shall not apply to such traffic data.

What is troubling about the language is that
(1)traffic data is exempt from the Registry Services
Evaluation Process; (2) the purpose for data
collection is too open-ended, and (3) the usage of
data pertaining to non-existent domain names will
assuredly promote massive typosquatting.

Best regards,
Danny