Input on new gTLD application

Mawaki Chango ki_chango at YAHOO.COM
Tue Feb 20 12:54:50 CET 2007

I have made a few changes in the last part of the text (below) and
the new version of the document is attached. Please note, wherever I
put "?" indicates that I'm not sure about the language. So please
help.

Harold, Danny, Carlos, Norbert, Iliya, Milton et al. I look forward
to your comments.
thanks.

Mawaki

For all those reasons, we would like to call on ICANN to initiate a
phased process starting with the implementation of the current new
gTLD policy being developed, in order to progressively (and
incrementally?) achieved the following objectives:

1) Translate ICANN's governance, policy and contractual instruments
in at least all the six working languages of the United Nations
(ICANN is left with the discretion to work also in other languages
that may not have the UN official status, in accordance with the
evolution of the Internet and its user community);

2) Receive and process all gTLD applications drafted in at least any
of the UN working languages;

3) Ensure subsequent correspondence with the applicants in the
language of their gTLD application;

4) Put in place a mechanism to administer a fee reduction program for
gTLD applicants from developing economies and disadvantaged
communities, which will be funded both by ICANN's proper funds
(whether from the application process or from a specific budget item)
and, possibly, from extra-budgetary sources;

5) Make the threshold for market entry easier for those from less
developed economies, as well as for non-commercial and
community-based gTLD applicants who demonstrate the need.

For better or worse (?), the Internet is a global facility, but it
isn't only so from the demand and the user end; it must be so from
the operation and supply side as well. If we chose not to address the
issues raised above, we will be sending a message of exclusion to the
face of people who are concerned and eager to participate actively
and responsibly in the expansion of this unique network.