[Fwd: robin, one question for new gTLD introduction]

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Sun Feb 18 06:18:39 CET 2007

For a detailed analysis of NCUC's objection to the proposal, see:
http://www.ipjustice.org/ICANN/NCUC_Comments_on_New_gTLDs.pdf

Thanks,
Robin

NCUC continues to strongly object to the principles and recommendations
in the GNSO New TLD Committee’s Draft Final Report on the Introduction
of New Generic Top-Level Domains (14 Nov. 2006). In particular, the
proposed selection criteria for strings and dispute resolution processes
over new gTLDs remain deeply problematic. The draft recommendations must
be substantially reformed in order to promote competition and innovation
and protect freedom of expression and non-commercial uses in the new
gTLD space. The GNSO Committee’s draft proposal would have ICANN engage
in massive and unprecedented censorship over the use words and ideas in
cyberspace. The draft recommendations propose that ICANN mediate between
competing standards of religion and morality to evaluate who is ...