[Fwd: robin, one question for new gTLD introduction]

Chun Eung Hwi chun at PEACENET.OR.KR
Fri Feb 16 05:21:37 CET 2007

Dear Robin Gross,

Thanks!

Then, why are you pointing at September version document of new gTLD
introduction? NCUC position document contains the recently updated
November version URL.
http://gnso.icann.org/drafts/GNSO-PDP-Dec05-FR-14Nov06.pdf

Two version's languages are slightly different.
At least, I confirmed that 2.5.2.1 sentence had changed.
Then,is that Nov. version finally updated one?

I have discovered the potential danger of that document language in the
midst of GNSO IDN discussion. I fully agree to the idea of NCUC new
release on this topic, and I will inform that issue in my country. And I
think some additional problems regarding IDN TLD should be addressed
together.

best regards,

Chun

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007, Robin Gross wrote:

> As for an update on the new gTLD policy development process, its a
> critical time.
>
> Some members of the task force and policy council will meet in LA next
> week to discuss the draft final report on the policy recommendations for
> the introduction of new generic top level domains (gTLDs).
> (Unfortunately I won't be able to attend the LA meetings because I was
> already ticketed to be in Bangalore on those dates). The new gTLD policy
> is one of several issues that will be discussed at the LA meetings.
>
> I am currently drafting some "alternative language" that can be
> introduced at this meeting to try to reform the existing draft
> recommendations that are so restrictive of speech and are modeled on an
> ancient trademark treaty.
>
> It is very possible that the GNSO Council will vote on the draft report
> (& the alternative language) at the late March Lisbon Board meeting. So
> we don't have a lot of time to garner support for reforming the
> recommendations. But the current draft is so repugnantly censorious and
> burdensome for ICANN that most are opposed to it - once they actually
> hear what it proposes. So we as a constituency have to do a lot of
> education and awareness raising on this issue. And I'm searching for
> more volunteers to work on this policy development process. The
> consequences of this policy are enormous for freedom of expression on
> the Internet, so I'm a little puzzled why more haven't volunteered to
> work on this issue yet. But now would be a most welcome time also.
>
> One idea is that the NCUC could issue a press release on the issue and
> we could each work in our own corners of the globe to publicize the
> issue with the press release and other efforts. What do others think? We
> also need to emphasize that the GAC principles are not nearly as
> restrictive as the draft recommendations, so arguments that "we have to
> do this because the GAC wants it," simply aren't true.
>
> Here is more background:
>
> This is the website for the new gTLD policy development issue at ICANN:
> http://gnso.icann.org/issues/new-gtlds/
>
> This is the draft policy that we want to change:
> *WORKING DOCUMENT: DRAFT GNSO Recommendation Summary - Introduction of
> New Generic Top-Level Domains
> <http://gnso.icann.org/issues/new-gtlds/recom-summary-14sep06.htm>* (14
> September 2006)
> http://gnso.icann.org/issues/new-gtlds/recom-summary-14sep06.htm
>
> This is NCUC's position on the policy:
> http://www.ipjustice.org/ICANN/NCUC_Comments_on_New_gTLDs.pdf
>
> another NCUC paper on the policy:
> http://gnso.icann.org/issues/new-gtlds/ncuc-01feb06.pdf
>
> Thanks! I look forward to hearing what other NCUC'ers think we should
> do. And if anyone is willing to donate some energy to this issue in the
> coming months, please let me know.
>
> Best,
> Robin

Chun Eung Hwi
General Secretary, PeaceNet |   fax:     (+82)  2-2649-2624
Seoul Yangchun P.O.Box 81   |   pcs:     (+82)  19-259-2667
Seoul, 158-600, Korea  	    | eMail:   chun at peacenet.or.kr