NCUC Proposal for Changes to New gTLD Policy

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Tue Feb 20 23:43:36 CET 2007

Hi there,

Below are the draft NCUC proposals for changes to the draft final report
for introducing new gTLDs.  Please send any comments are feedback soon.
We have to submit our proposals in writing by Thursday, so please send
any feedback quickly.

Thanks,
Robin

Current report can be found here:
http://gnso.icann.org/drafts/GNSO-PDP-Dec05-FR13-FEB07.htm

NCUC Proposal for New gTLD Draft Report:

NCUC Proposal 1:

Current Proposal:
Selection criteria - STRINGS
i.  Strings should not be confusingly similar to an existing top level
domain.

NCUC Proposal:
i.  Strings should not be visually confusingly similar to an existing
top level domain.

NCUC Proposal 2:

Current Proposal:
v.  Strings should not be contrary to public policy principles (as set
out in GACs draft principles).

NCUC Proposal:
v.  The string should not be illegal in the country in which it is
registered (i.e. national law applies).

NCUC Proposal 3:
Selection criteria - APPLICANTS

Current Proposal:
[...]
ii.  Applicants should be able to demonstrate their operational capability.

NCUC Proposal 4:
Selection Criteria - PROCESS

Current Proposal:
[...]
iii.  Staff will be used to make preliminary determinations about
applications as part of a process which includes the use of expert panels.

NCUC Proposal:
iii.  Staff will make preliminary determinations as to whether the
application has met objective application completeness criteria only.