Fwd: [council] Response from GoDaddy regarding action taken with respect to a .org domain name

Harold Feld hfeld at MEDIAACCESS.ORG
Fri Feb 2 16:28:23 CET 2007

I had hoped that we would have discussion within
the Constituency on a proper course of action.
Had I known my note would be forwarded for GNSO
action, I would have written a longer and more
substantive note.  I happen to agree with Bruce
that the Council list is not the place to
circulate an informal query from a single member.

That said, do I take the lack of response from
the Constituency to mean that I am the only one
concerned with the idea that aregistrar may
unilaterally, acting only on its own best
judgment, delete a registration?  Without any
other need for a procedure or effort to contact
the registrant?  Are members satisfied not merely
with theoutcome here, but in keeping such
authority in the hands of registrars generally?

Alternatively, are the other members of the
Constituency convinced this is not an ICANN
matter, but one to be addressed by national
governments under appropriate consumer protection
laws or other legal recourse?  Or is everyone
else satsified that the presence of a robust and
competitive registrar market adequately addresses such concerns?

If I am the only one that sees an issue here,
that's fine.  But I had hoped that there might be
others in the Constituency concerned with vesting
such authority in an unregulated commercial
entity -- whatever the appropriate outcome in this speciric case.

Harold Feld