[Fwd: [council] IPC Proposed Revised IGO DRP]

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Sun Dec 2 17:17:38 CET 2007

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for the feedback.  I wouldn't be terribly worried about this
proposal if it was only the IP Constituency that was in favor of it.
But I get the definite sense that it is ICANN staff who wants this PDP
most of all.

And actually this version is better than the version ICANN staff
produced for us in LA to launch a PDP based on (which had replaced the
"and" with "or" so only one element would need to be met before ICANN
could take your domain away).

Unfortunately, despite all of the real and important work we have to do,
we will have to also spend time and energy fighting this special
interest proposal.

One thing is clear: ICANN is the ideal forum for these causes that can't
win approval in a legitimate international treaty context.   Why bother
with the difficulties of passing a treaty when one can easily get ICANN
to make global policy?

Robin