[council] Draft Charter for new Whois Working Group

Mawaki Chango ki_chango at YAHOO.COM
Wed Apr 11 23:35:02 CEST 2007

Chuck, and all:

I am really sorry to read this. First, what is worse: undoing 3
year work of Task Force (not Working Group, and we all know now
what is the difference in our PDP process, right?) or a quick
arrangement among a few over lunch?

Why is it that the weaker voice (by institutional design) is so
much difficult to be heard and acknowledged, even when its
proponents are numerous enough to make a majority, and even a
super-majority?

Why is it that always the same set of actors have to prevail,
and the same others have to shrink back?

What is this council all about? Is it a body that is serious
about helping ICANN to live up to its self-claimed bottom-up
processes whatever it takes, including the elementary fairness
and honesty of accepting the outcome of legitimate processes as
already established and agreed upon, or is the council a trade
union of the industry and business-IPR interests, exclusively
concerned with protecting such vested interests?

When you say:
I would oppose making it so
> restrictive that creative thinking was limited that might
> result in
> totally new approaches not yet considered.

Well, we've been doing creative thinking for years. Remember?
the definition of the Whois purpose had been rephrased until the
day of the vote: how more creative can one be? The last
occurrence of this was the "special circumstances" creation. Are
you really kin moving the process forward? Then it is time to
stop that kind of creative thinking that rather looks like
filibustering, respect once for all the outcome of the Whois TF
and the Council vote, and build upon these.

Sincerely, and honestly,

Mawaki Chango