[Fwd: Re: [council] Draft Charter for new Whois Working Group]

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Wed Apr 11 21:08:26 CEST 2007

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [council] Draft Charter for new Whois Working Group
Date: 	Wed, 11 Apr 2007 11:49:54 -0700
From: 	Robin Gross <robin at ipjustice.org>
To: 	Maria Farrell <maria.farrell at icann.org>, "'Council GNSO'"
<council at gnso.icann.org>
<B897B789-E93B-442D-8673-9F58127C727C at tucows.com>
<461AF898.7030301 at ipjustice.org>

NCUC amends this motion to include one additional point of clarification
that is necessary to keep this working group focused.

The objective proposed in the draft charter is badly worded because it
would allow for each and every recommendation of the previous whois task
force to be revisited ("examine the issues raised with respect to the
policy recommendation of the task force and make recommendations
concerning how those policies may be improved...).

This new working group is not meant to "undo" the three years of work on
the whois task force.  Therefore it is important that we keep this new
working group on track by more clearly stating the objective.

NCUC proposes to amend the basic objective [new words in CAPS] as follows:

"The objective of the working group is to examine the IMPLEMENTATION
issues raised BY the recommendED OPOC PROPOSAL of the task force, and
make recommendations concerning how THE OPOC PROPOSAL may be IMPLEMENTED
IN A WAY TO ADDRESS THOSE ISSUES."

Thank you,
Robin