Looking for Feedback on Registry Failover

Danny Younger dannyyounger at YAHOO.COM
Thu Apr 19 22:07:14 CEST 2007

Patrick Jones, ICANN's Registry Liaison Manager, has
posted an ICANN Blog entry.  I responded to the entry,
and Patrick asked me to forward this blog post to the
NCUC and ask "if there is anything they would like to
add?"

Patrick's comment:
As part of ICANN’s Registry Failover project, I have
been informally asking questions outside ICANN on what
types of information the community, users and the
public would want to receive in the event of a
registry failure. So far the response has been:

- When will the TLD be operational again?
- What caused the event?
- How can that event be prevented in the future?
- What are my options?
- Who is the point of contact at ICANN for questions
and what is their availability?
- Is there a resource available to post updates on the
event or failure?

I am open to other suggestions. As background, an
update on the project was provided to the ICANN Board
on 13 March 2007
(http://www.icann.org/minutes/minutes-13mar07.htm) and
an initial report on ICANN’s gTLD registry data escrow
requirements was posted on 5 March 2007
(http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-05mar07.htm).
This post is not related to registrars, so please keep
the focus of any suggestions on existing TLDs or ideas
for new gTLDs, including IDN registries.

Danny's comment:  Preliminary work on this topic was
done by former ICANN Board Director Mike Palage; his
article, “Minimizing the Impact of Internet
Stakeholders in connection with a gTLD Registry
Financial/Business Failure” is a good read — see the
attachment at the bottom of this URL
http://forum.icann.org/lists/new-gtld-questions/msg00006.html
It would be nice to know if Mike’s proposed bonding
requirement proposal has as yet been evaluated by the
Board or by ICANN Staff.

Patrick's reply:  Thanks Danny. I have a copy of
Mike’s article, and it is part of my working materials
for the project.
Can you forward this blog post to the NCUC and ask if
there is anything they would like to add?

NCUC comments?