Fwd: [council] Domain Tasting

Danny Younger dannyyounger at YAHOO.COM
Mon Apr 9 21:24:10 CEST 2007

Dear Mawaki and Alan,

Re:  "Our intent is to have a draft request for an
Issues Report ready by April 23, and the request
finalized by April 30."

I am baffled by these dates.

(1)  The minutes of the March 6 ALAC Meeting state:

Policy Matters
Domain Tasting: Update from Nick on Issues Report,
start a PDP already (WS suggests)
There was discussion as to whether the existing
document was of the correct standard to be considered
an Issues report (Nick will check with Glenn) and if
so what would be the best route to take to raise a
PDP. The options suggested being:
• Ask Gnso staff to do an issues report which will
then require a positive vote to take it further
• Go straight to the Board to request a PDP
• Both of the above options combined so that if Gnso
didn’t have enough vote the Board could insist the PDP
be started.

Carlos/José called for a vote on trying to initiate a
PDP – no objections, VOTE PASSED

(2)  If the vote passed on March 6, ICANN Staff (per
the bylaws) should have had an issues report ready
within 15 days.

(3)  If there was some type of ALAC foul-up, then
matters should have been cleared up with a new vote at
Lisbon when Domain Tasting was again on the ALAC
Agenda (they were once again reviewing the 18 August
2006 Staff Issues report prepared by Bruce Beckwith
that had been updated by ICANN Staff on 6 February
2007).

(4)  If matters had been cleared up through a new vote
in Lisbon, then we would be expecting the Staff Issues
report to be released prior to April 15.

(5)  Finally, what possible bearing do the views of
the GNSO Constituencies have on the preparation of an
Issues Report?  Constituency views are solicited after
the issuance of such a report, not prior.

Totally confused by whatever it is that the ALAC is
doing...

Best regards,
Danny Younger