[Expression] [governance] ICANN Board Vote Signals Era of Censorship in Domain Na

Milton Mueller Mueller at SYR.EDU
Mon Apr 9 15:49:45 CEST 2007

Carlos
While a list of "prohibited names" is not my idea of the best policy, if we managed to get a list of _specific_ names defined, and it was of reasonably small size, and ICANN and the GAC agreed that the list is ALL THERE IS, there are no grounds for objecting to strings that are not on the list, it would be a step forward.

People who wanted controversial strings could find ways to express their ideas without using the strings in the sensitive list.

What we _don't_ want are general criteria (e.g., no strings that are "offensive," etc.) that anyone can raise about any string for any reason, forcing everyone to become locked in fruitless debates over acceptable meanings.

Creating such a list, of course, makes it abundantly clear that ICANN is engaged in the regulation and restriction of expression. But better to clearly define and minimize the censorship than to let it be open-ended, arbitrary and potentially limitless.

>>> Carlos Afonso <ca at RITS.ORG.BR> 4/9/2007 8:15 AM >>>
I go further -- I would suggest ICANN prepares a PDP on how to establish a bridge with governments and communities (regional, idiomatic, indigenous etc), and how to define criteria, for building a full
database of internationalized names (regularly updated by a guidance
board) which would not be acceptable as g/sTLDs. This would be part of the effort of distancing itself from having to decide in the last
instance if a name is "good" or "bad".

In addition, ICANN would launch another PDP on expanding thematic
criteria (geographic, historical, idiomatic etc) for new TLDs to be able
to decide in a clear and timely process on .berlin, .gal, .rio,
.katakana, .syracuse, .bio, .social :) etc etc.

frt rgds

--c.a.